African Wood Mask Ewe Tribe Hand Carved ‘Royal Identification’ NOVICA Ghana
Ghanaian wood mask, ‘Royal Identification’
Depicted in a sese wood mask, this regal personage represents responsibility. Evelyn Kafui Ahianyo names this piece Efiavi, a Ewe word meaning “royal identification.” “This mask is presented by the Ewe Chiefs to a royal baby in the Volta region of Ghana, signifying his responsibility to the child. Apart from being decorative, possession of this mask gives an assurance of ownership,” the Ghanaian designer says.
Artist: Evelyn Kafui Ahianyo
18.0 inches H x 5.5 inches W x 2.8 inches D
- 2.05 pounds
- Sese wood, copper wire and aluminum
- Additional Info
Hand-crafted item — color, size and/or motif may vary slightly
Photos are representative of the item being offered, but are not necessarily of the exact item you would receive. As is the nature of handcrafted items, there may be very slight variations from one piece to the next.
See Listing InfoCURRENT PRICE:
US $80.95SUGGESTED RETAIL
Our ebay prices are significantly lower than suggested retail amounts. By cutting out all traditional middlemen we can bring you the best prices on the highest quality items, direct from the region of origin.
SHIPPING TO USA (LOWER 48 STATES)
|Shipping Services||Shipping Cost||Delivery Time|
|Standard to Lower 48 United States||$6.00||12 to 20 business days|
|Expedited to Lower 48 United States||$10.00||2 to 6 business days|
WE SHIP TO OVER 100 DESTINATIONS!
|Destination||Shipping Cost||Delivery Time|
|Australia||$15.00||3 to 8 business days (excluding Customs processing time at destination)|
|Canada||$10.00||3 to 8 business days (excluding Customs processing time at destination)|
|Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands||$8.00||2 to 5 weeks|
|USA (Alaska or Hawaii)
|Same as Standard
|10 to 24 business days|
|USA (Alaska or Hawaii)
|$10.00||3 to 10 business days|
|United Kingdom||$8.00||3 to 8 business days (excluding Customs processing time at destination)|
COMBINED SHIPPING FOR MULTIPLE AUCTIONS
- If you win multiple auctions that will ship from the same country, you may qualify for a combined shipping discount.
- IMPORTANT: In order to qualify for a combined shipping discount, you must pay for all qualifying items at the same time.
- Want to save on shipping? Find other items that ship from our West Africa office: Shop more from West Africa
- Ships direct from NOVICA office in Ghana.
- Shipping costs include insurance.
- For USA (50 states): Shipping costs cover all import fees.
- Sales tax will be added for all items shipped to California, Missouri or Texas.
- For Non-USA: Customers are responsible for all duty, tax, & brokerage fees that may be due upon delivery (shipping costs cover freight charges only).
- There will be a charge for all refused / unclaimed shipments
- We can ship orders with Standard shipping service to the USA to a PO Box. Orders with Expedited shipping and those shipping outside the USA require a physical address. Sorry, we are not able to ship to APO/FPO addresses at this time.
- For expedited or international shipping fees, you must manually “Add” the additional amount when paying by Paypal. For example, if you want the 8.00 Expedited shipping and the Standard shipping is 5.00, you must “Add” an additional 3.00 to your payment.
- All major credit cards accepted.
- Paypal accepted.
- Payment must be made within 7 business days.
- Positive feedback will be given within 20 days after you have received the item.
Biography of Evelyn Kafui Ahianyo
“My masks are unique because I use my knowledge in design with each one.”
“My ability to work with masks is inborn, and my greatest inspiration is to preserve our rich cultural heritage.
“I’m Evelyn Kafui Ahianyo, born in Accra on September 12, 1965. I have two sisters and a brother.
“My masks are unique because I use my knowledge in design with each one. Initially, I wasn’t using lots of different materials, but now I use recycled glass and glass beads, aluminum, brass and more.
“I sit and draw the mask creatively, and come up with the colors that will make it stand out. I’m also good at observing nature and this comes to bear when I have to sit and come up with designs after the mask has been carved.
“Although my masks have cultural references, I try to enhance the looks. In Ghana, mask are seen to have spiritual beliefs attached to them, so most people wouldn’t like to even hold them. But with the new coloring and designs, people are now comfortable with masks and are ready to learn more about the history associated with them.”
More NOVICA Treasures…
In association with National Geographic, NOVICA is the largest seller of quality handcrafted fair trade goods on Ebay and has been actively auctioning rare artisan crafts since 1998.